Sunday, January 19, 2020

Justin Verlander

My son and I met Justin Verlander at a celebrity golf tournament at Four Seasons Golf and Sports Club in Orlando, Florida on Saturday January 18, 2020.  I was told before going, that Justin Verlander will be the toughest autograph to get. Through-Out the day, I heard many autograph collectors talk about the difficulty of getting Justin to sign anything! As Justin was finishing his exhausting day of golf, he was heading in to turn in his score card. A mob of people standing behind barricades swarmed into a designated area called the 'autograph zone'. It was so packed in that area that it seemed almost impossible to get in. I put my son on my shoulders hoping that if both of us can't get him, then at least he might have a fighting chance at being seen. I was right! My son and I have the exact same picture of Justin. When Justin was close enough, my son handed out his picture and asked Justin to sign it. Justin grabbed the picture and I said to him, "Would you personalize that to him?" Justin seemed enthusiastic to do so and my son spelled out his name to him. When he handed the picture back to my son, I said, to him, "Would you personalize this one to me?" Again, he seemed happy to do so! Afterwards, we caught up with some autograph collectors who went separate ways. They didn't want to get caught up in the massive crowd as they were certain Justin Verlander wouldn't stop to sign for anyone. They asked how we did. When I told him Justin signed for both of us they were shocked! They had mixed reactions from personal defeat of not trying to happiness that the two of us were able to get one of Baseball's all-time greats!

No comments:

Post a Comment