Saturday, July 13, 2024

Rick Manning

On Saturday July 13, 2024 I went to Tropicana Field to see the home town Tampa Bay Rays play the Cleveland Guardians. Rick Manning is a Bally Sports TV announcer for the Guardians. After the game, as he was exiting the TV booth, my brother had asked him for an autograph. Mr. Manning declined by saying he was in a rush to catch a bus and headed to the elevator. My brother, son and a friend of ours were heading in the same direction and ended up in the elevator with Mr. Manning. As the elevator doors closed, my brother tried again. Mr. Manning was clearly annoyed and rolled his eyes, but agreed to do so. After he handed my brothers 1987 Topps card back to him, I nervously asked as well, "Could I get you, too?" He sighed, but grabbed my 1985 Topps card and pen. My son then chimes in my saying, "I'm a kid... Can I get you?" Now, this elevator was jammed packed and Mr. Manning seemed so annoyed, but agreed. The mood in the elevator was very tense and uncomfortable for everybody, but now, it was our friends turn and he asked if he could get his Gold Glove baseball signed as Rick had received that award in 1976. Mr. Manning signed the ball. The elevator doors finally opened up again and I couldn't wait to get out! This was one of the most awkward and uncomfortable moments of my life! Very grateful to have Mr. Manning in my collection and even more grateful to never have a need to ask him for anything ever again!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment