Saturday, September 8, 2018

Roger McDowell

I FINALLY met Roger McDowell on September 7, 2018 at Tropicana Field when the Baltimore Orioles came to play the Tampa Bay Rays. My son and I arrived at the ball park while the Orioles were taking BP. As soon as we arrived, I spotted Roger walking to the Orioles bullpen to with a rake to prep the pen for his starting pitcher, Dylan Bundy. I have been a long time Mets fan and Roger was one of the famous Mets players from the 1986 Championship team. After Roger finished what he was working on, he seemed to be walking in my direction. Roger is very tough autograph to obtain. I had tried on two occasions in the past and could not get him to acknowledge me. Late in the 2017 season, he did come over to take a picture with my son, but he would not sign anything. This time around seemed much easier. Maybe I just caught him on a good day... Regardless, my son called his name as he walked closer to us. "Roger? Can I have your autograph?" My seven year old son asked. "Sure!" he said, he then added, "How are you today?" Roger signed my 1988 Donruss baseball card as well as my son's 1987 Fleer Award Winners baseball card. I am thrilled to add Roger into my autograph collection!

No comments:

Post a Comment