Thursday, January 11, 2024

Jimmy Rollins

Jimmy Rollins signed this hat for me outside of the Phillies clubhouse at Brighthouse Networks Field on March 11, 2007. Tim Gradoville, a back up catcher on the Phillies 40-man roster invited my Dad and I to the game as a birthday gift to me. (My birthday is March 12th). and invited us down to a restricted area just outside of the Phillies clubhouse. When Jimmy walked out of the clubhouse, I had my hat and sharpie ready. As he approached, I asked him and he was very cool about it. I then asked if he remembered me. He said I looked familiar, but couldn't place where. I told him, "I was your clubby when you played for the Clearwater Phillies". He paused then said with a big smile, "Oh shit! What's up B?!". For me, this was priceless, because it was right in front of my Dad! I then added to the conversation that he used to borrow my Eazy-E CD's in the late 90's. Jimmy then started quoting a lyric from one of Eazy's songs, by singing, "Said I'd rather fuck with you!"... Because my Dad was there, I stopped Jimmy by saying, "Ok we don't need to sing anymore" as we both laughed. Jimmy went on to win the National League Most Valuable Player Award later that year! He's a guy that I think belongs in Cooperstown.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment