Sunday, April 15, 2018

Gene Tenace

I first met Gene Tenace in 1994 during Spring Training at Dunedin Stadium when he was a coach with the Toronto Blue Jays. Gene signed a 1979 Topps baseball card. In 2009, I spotted Cito Gaston walking out of the Chic-A-Boom Room, a local bar located in downtown Dunedin, FL. I said hello to Mr. Gaston and as if I knew him, I introduced him to a friend of mine I was with by saying, "This is Cito Gaston, the first African-American manager to win a World Series, and he did it back to back in 1992 & 93!" Cito replied, "You're good!". I then said to the man standing next to Cito, "You look familiar, too." He shook my hand and said, "Gene Tenace". I then said, "Oh, Gene Tenace, 1973 World Series MVP!" He smiled and held up two fingers and said, "72".  I told them it was good to see them and wished them well as we shook hands and headed in our separate directions. Cito once again complimented my knowledge of baseball history!

No comments:

Post a Comment