Sunday, January 6, 2019

Mike Schmidt


In 2004, Hall of Fame 3rd Baseman was the inaugural manager of the Clearwater Threshers (Advanced A ball affiliate of the Philadelphia Phillies). Luckily, I was one of the clubhouse attendants and had the opportunity to work with him that summer. I had mentioned to Mr. Schmidt, early in the season that I had a Phillies jersey in my locker that I'd like for him to sign whenever he had a chance. He told me it was no problem, but time kept passing and there  was no mention of it again. I wasn't allowed to ask for autographs when working, so I didn't persist. Thankfully, he didn't forget. One day in September, with just a couple games left in the season, (Which was cut short due to a string of hurricanes) he approached me in the clubhouse and said, "Brian, do you still have that jersey for me to sign?" I replied, "Yes, it's in my locker." - "Bring it here and I'll sign it." I went to grab my Phillies jersey, and brought it back to his office, but he was nowhere to be found. I placed the jersey on the sofa in his office and went to look for him. I wanted to be sly about it as to not alert my manager about having one of the greatest 3rd baseman in history and a 1995 Hall of Fame inductee give me an autograph in a restricted area from such things. I eventually circled back and headed back to his office. Again, he wasn't there, but the jersey was still laying on the sofa, however it had been signed! I finally caught up with him a short while later and thanked him! Very grateful to have had the privilege of getting to know Mike Schmidt during the summer of 2004.

No comments:

Post a Comment