Sunday, September 6, 2020

Alan Trammell



 On June 8, 2017 my son and I went to a Lakeland Flying Tigers game in Lakeland, Florida. They were playing the St. Lucie Mets and as Mets fans, my son was decked out in Mets gear. We were there primarily to see Yoenis Cespedes as he was rehabbing with the St. Lucie Mets that game and were hoping to get an autograph. While talking with the Mets bus driver, a guy we've gotten to know quite well on our many visits to watch the team play, I spotted Alan Trammell sitting by himself in the stands. I'm always prepared to when I go to these games, because you never know who might show up. I had an 8x10 picture of the future Hall of Famer in my car. After finishing my conversation, my son and I walked to the parking lot to get the pictures. We approached him and politely asked for an autograph. He said, he'd be happy to sign them after the inning ended. I thanked him and said we'd come back. "No, come join me and watch the game!" Alan said to us. I was incredibly surprised and honored. Mr. Trammell joked with my son by sarcastically asking, "So what team are you rooting for?" Alan talked baseball with us for an entire inning and as promised, after the 3rd out of that inning, he signed and personalized our 8x10 pictures for us and was kind enough to pose for a picture with my son. Alan finally found his long overdue spot in the halls of Cooperstown in 2018.

No comments:

Post a Comment