Monday, January 1, 2018

Keith Hernandez



I met Keith Hernandez outside of a hotel in St. Petersburg, FL when the Mets came to play the Tampa Bay Rays, August 8, 2015. I originally had asked Keith for an autograph when he arrived that night after the game. He told me he'd come back after he dropped off his things in his room. I felt he was just brushing me off... A couple hours later he was sitting at the hotel bar, on the patio close by to where I had originally saw him. I didn't want to bother him again, so I kept my distance. However, a light rain began to fall, so I went closer for shelter. After a few minutes of standing quietly, Keith turned around after he saw a bolt of lightning. He saw my son and I and said, "Hey! Aren't you the guys that asked me for an autograph earlier?" I acknowledged, "Yes sir, I am." He told me to come over. But I was hesitant as to not draw attention to the hotel employees as I was not a guest at the hotel. I said, "That's alright, I'll wait until you're finished." Keith insisted I come over, by saying, "No it's fine, come on over, I'll sign for you guys!" Keith signed my 8x10 picture and then posed for a picture as well! My son got the same picture signed!

No comments:

Post a Comment